Are you planning a major project? Our user friendly guide "Bricklaying made Easy" is available at Builders Warehouse, or from the CBA for just R150.
- Plan site layout e.g. position of building, material stores, access etc.
- Store and protect all materials to minimise saturation and contamination.
- Control the wetting of bricks in hot, windy weather.
- Do not lay surface saturated bricks.
- Set out at ground level to locate all openings before commencing bricklaying.
- Lay out dry and minimise broken bonds.
- Prepare and take care of gauge rods - they are important quality control equipment.
- Work all levels from one datum.
Protection of brickwork
The best treatment is to prevent it from getting dirty in the first place - so protect the wall as work progresses from mortar droppings. After the first course of bricks has been laid - protect the base of the wall by laying sand, straw, sawdust or plastic sheeting along the ground. This minimises mud splashes and damage from mortar droppings.
As clay brickwork should be kept dry as possible during construction, cover the......read more