- Associate Member
Cermalab is a materials testing and materials sector training facility, serving the heavy clay, ceramic and refractory industries in Africa.
Heavy Clay Services
- Chemical (ICP) and minerological (XRD) analysis, making of samples, forming properties, drying properties, fired properties, plasticity, particle size distribution, dTA and TGA, thermal expansion, refractoriness under load etc.
- Testing according to SANS227: shape, appearance, colour, dimensions, warpage, water absorption, crushing strength, efflorescence, soundness, moisture expansion, solutable sales.
- Testing to SANS 1575: Shape, appearance, colour, dimensions, warpage, water absorption, mululus of repture and moisture expansion
- Resistance to salt attack
- Training: CETA accredited heavy clay brick making course.
Cermalab works in collaboration with the CSIR Light Metals competence area since March 2009. We manage an ISO 17025 High Temperature laboratory on their behalf. Our scope of accreditation has recently been extended with materials procedures, including SANS 227, SANS 1449, SANS 1575 and SANS 52004.
The Institute of Ceramic Education (ICE), affiliated to Cermalab, presents a CETA accredited 8-module brick-making course over a period of sixteen weeks.
Cermalab is not owned by any ceramics manufacturer and its test results are always impartial. Cermalab has an established confidentiality policy which guarantees utmost discretion in all spheres of operation.
Cermalab’s focus is on improving ceramics in everything that it undertakes – its personnel are passionate about ceramics and serve their clients with this in mind.